Saturday, June 3, 2017

Creative Colouring Convert

 
A study by Curry and Kasser looked at the impact of colouring therapy – a combination of art therapy and meditation – on anxiety.
 
They found that “when individuals colour complex geometric forms, they are provided an opportunity to suspend their “inner dialogue” and to deeply engage in an activity that removes them from the flow of negative thoughts and emotions that can sometimes dominate their lives…. and in doing so provide benefits to individuals suffering from anxiety.”
 
 
I started colouring a page of 'The Secret Lagoon - A Meditative Art Therapy Book' during a time when I was finding it increasingly difficult to relax after work, constantly thinking of my to-do list and emails I had to send long after I had actually turned my computer off at the end of the day. I couldn't switch off, and it was becoming a problem. My mind was consumed with thoughts about work 24/7.
 
I'd dismissed the idea of adult colouring in the past, thinking it was 'cheating' colouring someone else's drawing instead of creating your own. I going against the age-old saying and knocking it before trying it. But when you're in a constant state of anxiety, you'll try anything. Enter this colouring book.
  
Being a perfectionist at first I found the fear of 'stuffing it up' a little unpleasant, I must admit. When creating anything I want the result to be beautiful, and this was no exception. After a failed attempt on another page I eventually got my groove on with this one and thoroughly enjoyed the state of calm I experienced in the process. When I put pen to paper, my hands are distracted and my mind eventually follows, forgetting all that was clogging up my mind with a sense of urgency before.
 
I coloured about 3/4 of this page, and after a few days I started to feel better. Of course there were other positive factors contributing to this, but I'm sure the colouring was also helping a great deal. I stopped colouring, for I no longer needed to. I wasn't feeling anxious anymore, so the technique then bore little relevance. I wanted to finish the page, but I was no longer drawn to pick up my pencils. I guess it's true what they say - you have to be depressed to create good work!  
 
I eventually managed to finish it. I'm a colouring convert, and I love it.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment